Quick Link:- VicNode Aspera Shares at Monash University.
Quick Link:- VicNode Aspera Shares at The University of Melbourne.
Table of contents
- Making a collection accessible using Aspera
- Installing and configuring the Aspera client
- Uploading and Downloading files using the Aspera client
- Managing access to your collection
What—Aspera is a data transfer technology that can significantly reduce the time taken to transfer data over long distances.
Why—Some researchers may need to upload large collections or aggregated instrument data, download to distant individual collaborators, or transfer data between distant sites where collaborative groups work.
How—VicNode collections can be made accessible through the VicNode Aspera Shares server so that any group with distant members can use a web-browser to access data.
When—VicNode has a working service at The University of Melbourne. The Monash University service is currently down.
Making a collection accessible using Aspera
To have your storage allocation (all or part) made accessible using the Aspera service, email VicNode Support with your specific requirements.
When the allocation has been mounted on VicNode Aspera by the VicNode Support Team you will receive an email notification:
- At Monash, login access is controlled by using MASSIVE accounts; your email will have additional instructions for you to create a MASSIVE account. The VicNode Support team will automatically receive a request to give your MASSIVE account access to the allocation when that account is created.
- At Melbourne, login access is controlled by using your full staff name; your email will have instructions.
Installing and configuring the Aspera client
There is an Aspera Client for each computer platform (Windows, Macintosh, Linux). When you login via the quick links at the top of the page, you will be prompted to install the latest version of the appropriate browser plug-in. Part of this step also installs the command line client in the background.
The following steps will guide you through this process for Monash University.
- Log in to the VicNode Aspera Shares server using your MASSIVE username and password.
- Select your allocation folder from the left side of the screen.
- Follow the Install Now link to start installing the Aspera Plug-In.
- Follow the instructions—noting that you may need to approve to start the installation process.
- Once the Aspera Plugin has downloaded, open the file to continue the installation process. Note that you may need to give approval to run the installer. Then follow the installer instructions.
- When you return to the allocation on the VicNode Aspera Shares server, you will be prompted to Allow your browser to use the Aspera Web Plug-In.
- You are now ready to use Aspera in your web browser.
Uploading and Downloading files using the Aspera client
Log in to the VicNode Aspera Shares server using your username and password.
Select the allocation you would like to access from your list of allocations
You will now be able to upload, download, sort and search folders and files in an allocation.
The first time you complete an action, like download or upload a file, you will need to authorise the Aspera Plugin to communicate with VicNode.
Managing access to your collection
To give other people access to your allocation using Aspera:
- Login to the MASSIVE Karaage Service using your MASSIVE username and password.
- Select the Projects link from the top of the screen.
- Select the Project ID for your collection.
- Use the Invite a new user and Remove links to add and remove user access to your collection.